Wednesday 6 February 2013

Surety in our Heavenly Father


I was looking at musical arrangements of some hymns of youtube, and I stumbled across one of my favourites: It is Well with my Soul. This hymn really portrays the raw dependence that we need to have on God in all things. The writer of the words, Horatio G. Spafford, really captured this in his own situation: the need that we ought to have in depending on God, both in good times and bad.

I won't recount the story behind these words (just google it, as its a powerful story and will change your perception of it), but one thing to note is that Spafford suffered. He really suffered. He had just lost his five children, as well as most of the real estate investment he owned. Yet despite all this he was able to praise God and say 'It is well, with my soul.' 

His faith puts me to shame, for so often when life's hardships come our way we despair, even to the point that we may become overwhelmed by them. Yet this refrain reminds me of hope: 'It is well with my soul.' And why? Because I know that God in heaven is in control over all things. I know that whatever comes my way, God is in complete control over it; He promises never to send us more than we can endure.

No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

And so, we have be assured and comforted that God is always with us. He is in control over all things as Almighty God, and He is also beside us as we endure it because He is also our Father.



It is Well with My Soul - Brian Doerkson



No comments:

Post a Comment